Sunday 3 July 2011

Ol' Dirty Bastard - Shimmy Shimmy Ya (The Karma To Burn Twenty Nine Mix)

OK then, here we go. May as well start off at the beginning with the very first mash-up I ever did, which would have been about 2 years ago now. But first a little bit on info on my inspiration.

I love heavy guitar music. Rock, metal, punk, whatever you want to call it, if it has loud guitars and/or distortion and a bit of fucking attitude then I'm there. I also love me some hip hop. Not so much new stuff, I rarely listen to stuff that was made after about 1997 but for a 10 year period up to that point the stuff being released was amazing. New stuff just bores me, I feel like I've heard it before. It gets tedious very quickly hearing about mutlimillionaire rappers banging on about how street they are while they live in their mansions as far away from the street as they can possibly get, boasting about how great they are, how much cash they have and how many ladies they've loved. Yaaaaaaaawn, give me something new.

So although there were efforts at a rap/rock hybrid kinda style before the early/mid ninties, some great, some shite, it wasn't until '92/93-ish that it really started to take off. And I was in heaven. My two favourite musical styles being mixed togther, what could be better than that? Well, quite a lot as it turns out. Because it's a sad fact that 95% of rap/rock out there is fucking garbage. And this annoyed me because as a genre it had the potential to be great. So I thought I'd try and redress the balance a bit and make some mash-ups of rock tunes and rap vocals.

I'm a big fan of the band Karma To Burn who do mostly instrumental songs so I thought I'd have a go at mashing some rap tunes to their stuff. I had the idea of making a 6 track EP. But I got so into it and pleased with the results I ended up making a 2nd EP. And now I'm halfway through making my 3rd. So for your enjoyment here is the first tune I ever did. It's a mash-up of Shimmy Shimmy Ya by Ol' Dirty Bastard and Twenty Nine by Karma To Burn (cos their songs are instrumentals they just name them in the order that they wrote them).


Ol' Dirty Bastard - Shimmy Shimmy Ya (The Karma To Burn Twenty Nine Mix) by BeardFaceMan

No comments:

Post a Comment